Understanding Property Assessment Notices
County assessors recently sent out property assessment notices in the mail, and the assessed value of many homes across the state have gone up to reflect market conditions. Property reassessments are done every two years in odd-numbered years.
How does this affect my taxes?
This assessment is the starting point for your property tax bill, and your property taxes will not go up the same amount as the assessment increase percentage. The rollback will lessen the impact of the assessment notice as it limits how much property tax costs can rise in a given year to either 3% or the lesser of the growth in either class (whichever is lower). This is done statewide and does not apply individually to a home or property. Therefore, individual homes may increase or decrease in taxable revaluation by more or less than the 3% level.
What is the City doing about it?
In the current fiscal year (ending 6/30/23) the City’s portion of your consolidated property tax bill is 27.4%, and the other 72.6% goes to the school district, County, Broadlawns, DMACC, and DART. In the first quarter of 2024, the various levels of local government will set their levy rates against the taxable value of your property for collection in September 2024 and March 2025. Levy rates may move up or down based on each taxing jurisdiction’s needs and what is necessary to accomplish their desired projects. The consolidated property tax bill is made up of the assessment, the rollback, and the individual levies.
What’s happening with the City of Grimes’ tax rate?
The Council recently passed the budget for the fiscal year beginning on 7/1/23 and ending on 6/30/24, with an 11-cent decrease in the City's levy rate. For the last several years, the City Council has consistently worked to lower the levy rate while maintaining essential service levels and advancing goals, priorities, and projects that benefit the residents of Grimes.
Here's how Grimes compares to neighboring communities
Can I dispute my assessment?
Yes, but this must be done by 4/30/23 at https://www.assess.co.polk.ia.us/cgi-bin/web/tt/infoqry.cgi?tt=aboutus/protest.
Other Helpful Links