The City Council approved several items at the September 13th meeting regarding GrimesPlex. These items outline the next steps for the project. The Council voted to:
- Terminate the original management agreement. Initially, GrimesPlex was owned by Hope Development and the City of Grimes agreed to manage and maintain the facility. Then in the spring of 2022, Hope Development gifted the land and $12 million to the City of Grimes to take over ownership of GrimesPlex. With the transition of GrimesPlex to the City of Grimes, the original management agreement is no longer necessary.
- Accept the assignment of the lease agreement between Hope Development and the City of Grimes. During the original development of the GrimesPlex in 2020, Hope Development entered into a lease agreement with Sporting Iowa. Now that GrimesPlex is owned by the City of Grimes, the City is taking over that lease agreement.
- Approve disbursement of donated funds for GrimesPlex. Before the City took over control of GrimesPlex, Hope Development incurred certain costs for the project. Those costs will be reimbursed.
- Order construction of GrimesPlex, fix a date for a hearing, and take bids. City staff is taking bids for the construction of GrimesPlex. The bid opening is October 18th at 10:30 am and the public hearing will be on October 25th at 5:30 pm. The project will be awarded following the public hearing.
- Authorize City staff to solicit proposals and work with the Parks and Recreation Board to evaluate softball, baseball, and concession tenants for GrimesPlex. City staff will now work with the Parks and Recreation Board to evaluate potential softball, baseball, and concession tenants for GrimesPlex and will make a recommendation to the City Council.
GrimesPlex is a 50-acre synthetic turf field and will be one of the largest facilities of its kind in the Midwest. The estimated economic impact for the first year of operation is expected to be $11 million. GrimesPlex is a part of a 200-acre multi-use entertainment district called the Hope District. This will include retail, restaurants, and hotel development. The facility is expected to open in the summer of 2023. GrimesPlex is located west of Highway 141 north of Hy-Vee. Project updates are available at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/6fdc73dc905f44b9a6ed5b2d328a2613.