Spring Cleanup 2021 - Curbside Pick up
Curbside Pick up
- The annual Grimes Spring cleanup is scheduled for Monday May 10th and Tuesday May 11th on your regular collection day.
- All items must be placed at the curb by 6:00 am. The collection vehicles will make one pass down each residential street. This cleanup is for residential only. Place material at edge of street in a bag, box, containerized or tied in bundles no more than 4 feet in length or 40 lbs. in weight. If you are wondering whether your items are appropriate, consider if your pile would fit in the bed of a pick-up truck, or if two people can reasonably lift it. If the answer to either question is no, then please call Metro Waste Authority at 515-244-0021 for guidance regarding alternate disposal options.
- Businesses and residents that operate a business out of their home or anyone with excessive waste must contact Metro Waste Authority at 515-244-0021 to determine disposal options.
- All large items (swing sets, exercise equipment, etc.) must be dismantled to the point that it can be handled by one person. Mattresses are included for curbside pickup.
- For large items that cannot be dismantled you must contact Metro Waste Authority at 515-244-0021 for guidance. These items will not be picked up as part of curbside spring cleanup.
- Items that will not be collected during spring cleanup curbside include: TV’s, appliances, yard waste, brush, tires, vehicles and/or major auto parts, waste oil, paint, flammables, batteries, solvents, household hazardous waste, railroad ties, large piles of building materials, concrete, brick or block. Hazardous waste, such as paint, oil, etc. can be disposed of through Metro Waste Authority. Please refer to their website (www.whereitshouldgo.com) or call 515-244-0021 for more information.
- Mobile home parks and apartments need to have all items placed in a single location.
Appliances are not included in Spring Cleanup. Curbside pickup of an applance requires 7 large item stickers ($5 each). These are available at City Hall. When you’re ready to place at the curb, call the number on the sticker to schedule pick up. Working refrigerators and freezers may be eligible for a rebate through the MidAmerican Energy Recycling Program. Call 800-621-2757.
Yard Waste and Scrap Tire Drop Off
- At the City Shop, located at 1700 SE Destination Drive (The old FedEx building).
- Saturdays May 1st and 8th from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Sundays May 2nd and 9th from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Monday through Friday May 3rd to 7th from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Accepted items include tree branches, leaves, and residential yard waste.
- No compost bags or stickers are required. The City will provide dumpsters for yard waste.
- The City will provide dumpsters for tire drop off.
Each resident is limited to 5 scrap tires (no rims). Passenger vehicle or truck tires only (no tractor tires).